Thursday, November 17, 2011

Planes, Public Urination & Star sightings... sorta

Last week I was fortunate to get to go to Dallas for a "Style Your Sole" party at a very large Methodist church in Highland Park. The event was awesome. With over 500 pairs purchased by individuals within the church, TOMS will now be able to donate over 500 pairs of shoes to children in need! We had 20 amazing artists for the event to paint shoes, or if people wanted to design their own TOMS, we had tons of supplies to style with. I had an amazing time and got to see some friends as well!

What made my trip even better was my flight back home to LA. When I fly, I usually mind my own business and occasionally make small talk to the person next to me, but this flight was different. I was honored to sit by an amazing 87 year old grandmother who was as spunky as Jenna! I finished reading "Start Something That Matters" a very inspiring book by the Chief Shoe Giver of TOMS, Blake Mycoskie.  I offered them my copy of the book and began to tell them the TOMS story. She loved the story, said she would pass the book around, spread the TOMS message, and also buy a pair for herself! This lady had amazing stories about her son-in-law working for IBM as they invented the first computer, and how living in a fancy nursing home is great place to meet new friends! She also ushered up advice on where to sell TOMS & how the lady sitting in front of us needed to find a beauty parlor. Her jokes were quite comical on wanting to ask the lady "where do you style your hair" or "when is the last time you have used a brush?" This flight home brightened my night and showed me that you're never too old to be full of life. This lady impacted me with her sweet and funny ways, and I hope I inspired her to think about how 1 pair of shoes can change a life in a huge way! 

On Tuesday morning, I saw something that changed the way I will look at public mailboxes for the rest of my life. I was driving to work and pulled up to a red light. While I was waiting, I was soaking in the beautiful sun and world around me. Then reality set in when I saw a man reaching for his zipper. My mind was saying "don't do it...don't do it..." and then he did it! This man "drained the dragon" right there on a USPS mailbox. I couldn't help but laugh so hard that he probably heard me. I know this because he jerked a little, which wasn't a good idea for him!!

For the month of November I have been growing a mustache for MOVEMBER! A killer mustache is a great way to start a conversation and tell people about 
MAN- Cancers!! This sounded like a great plan, but unfortunately my mustache hasn't really gained me any street cred, except for being extremely creepy. But I am bound and determined to at least raise $100 for the Movember cause. So if you would like to donate, I'd be extremely grateful! Here is the link to my Movember page! 

Since I had to go to Dallas for the event last week I was able to take today off from work. Jenna and I made the best of it. This morning we packed a lunch and headed out to the beach. We had such a great time soaking in the sun, sharing stories, and of course...laughing! We bought a frisbee not too long ago, and that was the first thing I packed! I couldn't wait to show Jenna my mad frisbee skills, in hopes her love for me would grow even deeper (I can't say that they did).  Even though my skills didn't impress her much, we had an amazing time!








After lunch, we headed down to Manhattan Beach for a "lighting of the pier" night. Nothing gets me in the Christmas spirit like hot apple cider, carolers singing, and Christmas lights all around!




Sunset before the Pier Lighting


Jenna eating Pizza from this amazing little Italian place in Manhattan Beach



Christmas Carolers 


Lighting of the Pier




Being in LA from day 1 has provided Jenna and I the opportunity to see more famous people than ever before, and tonight was one of them...well kinda...

We were about to cross the street when I recognized a familiar voice coming from my left. I looked up and there he was...Kasey from the Bachelor Pad reality show on ABC (I only watch because Jenna made me watch it and its too much of a train wreck to quit watching). I literally laughed out loud when I saw it was him. Jenna tried to take a discreet picture...only problem...her flash was on. He was pretty much blinded for the next 5 minutes due to the flash going off right in his face! HAHA.  This guy is hilarious (only bc he is so cheesy) and seeing him was the cherry on top of an amazing day!

That's all of our adventures lately and I know we will have many more to share!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment